Raian is an Associate Professor in Computing in the Department of Computing and Informatics, Faculty of Science & Technology, Bournemouth University, UK. He received his PhD in Software Engineering from University of Trento, Italy. He worked as a post-doctorate research fellow at University of Trento and then Lero, the Irish Software Engineering Research, University of Limerick, Ireland. His research is focused on the engineering of social informatics, i.e., the systematic design of software-based solutions for social requirements and the governed and responsible integration of such solutions into the overall socio-technical system. Examples of particular topics include the engineering of software-based motivation (Gamification, Persuasive Technology, Incentive Centred Design, etc.) within a business information systems, the engineering of transparency requirements in enterprises as well as the design of systems which are receptive and responsive to the feedback of their users, preferably called citizens.
Raian has a keen interest in studying Digital Addiction which he defines as a problematic usage of digital devices characterized by properties like being excessive, obsessive, compulsive, impulsive and hasty. He focuses on the principles, methods and tools needed to engineer addiction-aware technology able to combat, autonomously or semi-autonomously, addictive usage styles. As a social responsibility, he is advocating a policy change in the production of digital media so that it helps people to make informed decisions about their usage. He would also like to see more public awareness of the potential reasons and side-effects of the obsessive usage of technology, or at least encourage a user to make a software-supported self-assessment exercise around it. For more information, visit our Digital Addiction Research project page.
He is currently a holder of a European FP7 Marie Curie Grant on the Engineering of Socially-Adaptive Systems (the SOCIAD Project) and the chair for the Engineering of Social Informatics Research Group (ESOTICS) a Bournemouth University.
Contact: Office: +44 (0) 1202 966 682; Email: rali at bournemouth.ac.uk
Huffington Post Page: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/author/dr-raian-ali
Please consider submitting to, and attending:
- REFSQ’18: 24th International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality. March 19th-22nd in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- SAC 2018: the 33rd ACM/SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing. April 9 – 13, 2018. Pau, France.
- DDGD2017: First Interantional Workshop on Data-Driven Gamification Design (DDGD 2017) Held in conjunction with Mindtrek’17. 20 September 2017, Tampere, Finland.
- PoEM 2017: 10th IFIP WG 8.1 Working Conference on The Practice of Enterprise Modeling. 22 – 24 Nov, 2017. Leuven, Belgium.
- ER 2017: the 36th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling – Demo Track and Forum/Research in Progress Track. Nov. 6th-9th, 2017, Valencia, Spain.
- ACM SAC – RE Track 2018: the 11th edition of the Requirement Engineering Track (RE-Track’18) in conjunction with the 33rd ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2018). April 9-13, 2018. Pau, France.
- CrowdRE’17: The Second International Workshop on Crowd-Based Requirements Engineering. Co-located with IEEE RE 2017. September 4/5, 2017. Lisbon, Portugal
- ESPRE’17: 4th International Workshop on Evolving Security & Privacy Requirements Engineering (ESPRE’17), co-located with the 25th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, 4 – 5 September 2017. Lisbon, Portugal.
- DSPL-17: the 10th International Workshop on Dynamic Software Product Lines – Adaptive Systems through Runtime Variability (DSPL ’17) co-located with the 21st International Systems and Software Product Line Conference (SPLC ’17), Sept 25-29, Sevilla, Spain.
- PT17: the 12th International Conference on Persuasive Technology. PERSUASIVE 2017 (PT-17). April 3-6, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- KEOD 2017: the 9th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management. 1-3 Nov, 2017. Funchal, Madeira, Portugal.
- IoP 2017: the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Internet of People (IoP 2017), 4-8 Aug 2017, San Francesco Bay Area, USA.
- iStar 2017: the 10th International i* Workshop co-located with CAiSE’17, June, 12nd-13rd in Essen, Germany.
- SPLC 2017: the 21st International Systems and Software Product Line Conference. Sep 25-29, Sevilla, Spain.
- RCIS 2017: the 11th IEEE International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS 2017). 10-12 May 2017, Brighton, United Kindgom.
- SEmotion 2017: Second International Workshop on Emotion Awareness in Software Engineering. ICSE 2017 Workshop. May 2017. Buenos Aires, Argentina
- CSI-SE 2017: the 4th International Workshop on CrowdSourcing in Software Engineering. ICSE 2017 Workshop. May 2017. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- DSAA 2017: the 4th IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics. 19-21, Oct 2017, Tokyo, Japan.
- RESACS 2017: The 3rd Intl. Workshop on Requirements Engineering for Self-Adaptive and Cyber Physical Systems (RESACS), to be held at REFSQ’17, 27-Feb to 02 Mar 2017 in Essen, Germany.
- ACM SAC RE-Track’17: the 10th edition of the Requirement Engineering Track (RE-Track’17) of the 32nd ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2017). March 27-31, 2017. Marrakesh, Morocco.
- REFSQ’17: the 23rd Intl. Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundations of Software Quality, Posters and Tool Track. 27-Feb to 02 Mar 2017, Essen, Germany