Raian is an Associate Professor in Computing in the Department of Computing and Informatics, Faculty of Science & Technology, Bournemouth University, UK. He received his PhD in Software Engineering from University of Trento, Italy. He worked as a post-doctorate research fellow at University of Trento and then Lero, the Irish Software Engineering Research, University of Limerick, Ireland. His research is focused on the engineering of social informatics, i.e., the systematic design of software-based solutions for social requirements and the governed and responsible integration of such solutions into the overall socio-technical system. Examples of particular topics include the engineering of software-based motivation (Gamification, Persuasive Technology, Incentive Centred Design, etc.) within a business information systems, the engineering of transparency requirements in enterprises as well as the design of systems which are receptive and responsive to the feedback of their users, preferably called citizens.
Raian has a keen interest in studying Digital Addiction which he defines as a problematic usage of digital devices characterized by properties like being excessive, obsessive, compulsive, impulsive and hasty. He focuses on the principles, methods and tools needed to engineer addiction-aware technology able to combat, autonomously or semi-autonomously, addictive usage styles. As a social responsibility, he is advocating a policy change in the production of digital media so that it helps people to make informed decisions about their usage. He would also like to see more public awareness of the potential reasons and side-effects of the obsessive usage of technology, or at least encourage a user to make a software-supported self-assessment exercise around it. For more information, visit our Digital Addiction Research project page.
He is currently a holder of a European FP7 Marie Curie Grant on the Engineering of Socially-Adaptive Systems (the SOCIAD Project) and the chair for the Engineering of Social Informatics Research Group (ESOTICS) a Bournemouth University.
Contact: Office: +44 (0) 1202 966 682; Email: rali at bournemouth.ac.uk
Please consider submitting to, and attending:
- ER 2018: The 37th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER’18), 22 – 25 October 2018. Xi’an, China.
- RCIS 2018: Twelfth International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS’18), May 29-31, 2018, Nantes, France.
- PERSUASIVE’ 18: the 13th International Conference on Persuasive Technology (PERSUASIVE’18) . April 16 – 19, 2018. Toronto, Canada.
- CSI-SE’18: the 5th International Workshop on Crowd Sourcing in Software Engineering (CSI-SE’18), in conjunction with ICSE’18. May 27, 2018. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- SEmotion 2018: the 3rd International Workshop on Emotion Awareness in Software Engineering (SEmotion’18), in conjunction with ICSE’18. Jun 2nd, 2018. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- REFSQ’18: 24th International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality. March 19th-22nd, 2018. Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- SAC 2018: the 33rd ACM/SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing. April 9 – 13, 2018. Pau, France.