Raian is an Associate Professor in Computing in the Department of Computing and Informatics, Faculty of Science & Technology, Bournemouth University, UK. He received his PhD in Software Engineering from University of Trento, Italy. He worked as a post-doctorate research fellow at University of Trento and then Lero, the Irish Software Engineering Research, University of Limerick, Ireland. His research is focused on the engineering of social technologies, i.e., the systematic design of software-based solutions for social requirements and the governed and responsible integration of such solutions into their usage environment. Examples of particular topics include the engineering of digital motivation (Gamification, Persuasive Technology, Incentive Centred Design, etc.) within a business information system, the engineering of transparency requirements in enterprises as well as the design of systems which are receptive and responsive to the feedback of their users, preferably called citizens.
Raian has a keen interest in studying Digital Addiction which he defines as a problematic usage of digital devices characterized by properties like being excessive, obsessive, compulsive, impulsive and hasty. He focuses on the principles, methods and tools needed to engineer addiction-aware technology able to combat, autonomously or semi-autonomously, addictive usage styles. As a social responsibility, he is advocating a policy change in the production of digital media so that it helps people to make informed decisions about their usage. He would also like to see more public awareness of the potential reasons and side-effects of the obsessive usage of technology, or at least encourage a user to make a software-supported self-assessment exercise around it. For more information, visit our Digital Addiction Research project page.
He has been a holder of a European FP7 Marie Curie Grant on the Engineering of Socially-Adaptive Systems (the SOCIAD Project 2013-2017). Raian is coordinating the Engineering and SOcial informaTICS Research Group (ESOTICS) a Bournemouth University and is leading the EROGamb project funded by GambleAware and Bournemouth University and meant to enable a more intelligent and real-time behavioural awareness techniques to prevent and combat problem gambling.
Contact: Office: +44 (0) 1202 966 682; Email: rali at bournemouth.ac.uk
Please consider submitting to, and attending:
- ER 2018: The 37th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER’18), 22 – 25 October 2018. Xi’an, China.
- PoEM 2018: 11th IFIP WG 8.1 working conference on the Practice of Enterprise Modelling (PoEM’18). 31 October – 2 November, 2018. Vienna, Austria.
- RCIS 2018: Twelfth International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS’18), May 29-31, 2018, Nantes, France.
- CAiSE 2018 – Forum: 30th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE’18 Forum). 11-15 Jun 2018. Tallinn, Estonia.
- KEOD 2018: the 10th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management. September 18 – 20, 2018 Seville, Spain.
- PERSUASIVE’ 18: the 13th International Conference on Persuasive Technology (PERSUASIVE’18) . April 16 – 19, 2018. Toronto, Canada.
- CSI-SE’18: the 5th International Workshop on Crowd Sourcing in Software Engineering (CSI-SE’18), in conjunction with ICSE’18. May 27, 2018. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- SEmotion 2018: the 3rd International Workshop on Emotion Awareness in Software Engineering (SEmotion’18), in conjunction with ICSE’18. Jun 2nd, 2018. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- REFSQ’18: 24th International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality (REFSQ’18). March 19th-22nd, 2018. Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- i-Start (i*) : Eleventh International i* Workshop, co-located event with the 30th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE’18). 11-12 June, 2018. Tallinn, Estonia.
- ESPRE 2018: The 5th International Workshop on Evolving Security & Privacy Requirements Engineering. Co-located with the 26th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference. 20 – 21 August 2018. Banff, Canada.
- RESACS 2018: Fourth International Workshop on Requirements Engineering for Self-Adaptive and Cyber Physical Systems. Co-located with the 26th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference. 20 – 21 August 2018. Banff, Canada.
- AffectRE 2018: First International Workshop on Affective Computing for Requirements Engineering. Co-located with the 26th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference. 20 – 21 August 2018. Banff, Canada.
- SAC 2018: the 33rd ACM/SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing (SAC-RE’18). April 9 – 13, 2018. Pau, France.